Swiatek vs Gauff LIVE: French Open final result and updates as world No. 1 triumphs at Roland Garros

<p>Iga Swiatek picked up a victory in straight sets </p>
<p>” src=”https://static.independent.co.uk/2022/06/04/15/SEI108005334.jpg?quality=75&width=982&height=726&auto=webp” srcset=”https://static.independent.co .uk/2022/06/04/15/SEI108005334.jpg?quality=75&width=320&auto=webp&crop=982:726, smart 320w, https://static.independent.co.uk/2022/06/04/15/ SEI108005334.jpg?quality=75&width=640&auto=webp&crop=982:726,smart 640w”/></amp-img><figcaption class=

Iga Swiatek picked up a victory in straight sets

(EPA)

Iga Swiatek cemented her place at the top of women’s tennis with a landslide victory over Coco Gauff in the final of French Open. Number one seed swept away at a second Roland Garros title thanks to a 6-1 6-3 demolition of 18-year-old Gauff.

Under the eyes of superstar Polish striker Robert Lewandowski on court Philippe Chatrier, Swiatek’s hard shooting and ruthless finishing was too much for the American and capped an astonishing winning streak.

Elevated to world number one following Ashleigh Barty’s surprise retirement in March, the 21-year-old Pole has proved an unstoppable force ever since. Her streak of 35 consecutive victories places her at the level of Venus Williams for the most consecutive victories of this century. She also won six consecutive titles, the first woman to do so since Justine Henin in 2008.

It was a tough afternoon for Gauff, in her first Grand Slam final, but she didn’t hold back despite saying beforehand there was no pressure on her. Follow all the live reactions below as Swiatek defeats Gauff to win Roland Garros:

1654355198

Iga Swiatek blasts Coco Gauff to win second French Open title

Karl MatchetJune 4, 2022 4:06 p.m.

1654354371

Iga Swiatek wins Roland-Garros!

From the start of the tournament, Iga Swiatek looked like the player to beat for the women’s singles title, but no one could resist her.

She was too strong, too smart and too focused. The world no. 1 took just over an hour to win its second Roland-Garros title.

(Reuters)

(Reuters)

Michael JonesJune 4, 2022 3:52 p.m.

1654353977

Iga Swiatek wins Roland-Garros!

Here’s what Iga Swiatek had to say after winning the French Open:

“I would first like to congratulate you [Coco Gauff] because you are doing an amazing job. You are progressing all the time. You’ll find it and you’ll be there, I’m pretty sure.

“I want to thank my team, you guys, I mean, oh my god, without you I wouldn’t be here, I’m sure. I’m glad every piece came together and we were able to do this. We deserve to be here. Thank you for your full support all the time, no matter what.

“Also to my dad, I wouldn’t be here without him so I have to thank him for everything. Everyone in my box, thank you all. Two years ago, winning this title was something incredible that I did not expect. This time I worked hard to get here.

“Thank you to all the fans for coming, all the Polish flags I can see there. It’s good to have you and to support you in my most difficult moments. It’s always a great atmosphere here and I always have extra motivation every time I come here.

“I also wanted to say something to Ukraine, to keep it strong, because the war is still here. Since it started, I hope when I do the next one [tournament] The situation will get better but I will still have hope.

“Thank you guys and see you next year.”

Michael JonesJune 4, 2022 3:46 p.m.

1654353565

Iga Swiatek wins Roland-Garros!

Iga Swiatek steps forward to receive her trophy. She hugs Coco Gauff, accepts the trophy from Mats Wilander and hoists it to the crowd.

She is the champion of Roland-Garros 2022!

(Reuters)

Michael JonesJune 4, 2022 3:39 p.m.

1654353420

Iga Swiatek wins Roland-Garros!

“I hope I play you in more finals and maybe I can win you someday!” Gauff told Iga Swiatek before tearfully apologizing to his team for “not being able to get you this one today.”

Michael JonesJune 4, 2022 3:37 p.m.

1654353176

Iga Swiatek wins Roland-Garros!

The presentation of the trophies will begin on the Court Philippe Chatrier.

A disappointed Coco Gauff shows up to claim her runner-up prize but is rewarded with cheers from fans and the crowd.

Michael JonesJune 4, 2022 3:32 p.m.

1654352969

Iga Swiatek wins Roland-Garros!

Iga Swiatek writes “Proud of the team!” on the camera lens after winning his second French Open title.

This is obviously a message to her team and her coaches who helped her become a champion.

This year, she has 35 consecutive victories, six titles and a second championship victory at Roland-Garros to her credit.

Michael JonesJune 4, 2022 3:29 p.m.

1654352668

Iga Swiatek wins Roland-Garros!

Another remarkable display from Iga Swiatek sweeping away Coco Gauff to win the French Open title.

(Reuters)

(Reuters)

Michael JonesJune 4, 2022 3:24 p.m.

1654352496

Iga Swiatek wins Roland-Garros!

A 6-1 6-3 win in straight sets over American Coco Gauff sees the world no. 1 claim the Grand Slam title for the second time after also winning here in 2020.

She also equaled Venus Williams’ record of 35 consecutive victories!

Excellent performance from the 21-year-old player.

Michael JonesJune 4, 2022 3:21 p.m.

1654352262

Swiatek* 6-1, 5-3 Gauff

Good catch from Coco Gauff! Iga Swiatek forced her to make it two but the American didn’t give an inch and halted the Polish winning streak.

Swiatek will now serve for the championship.

Michael JonesJune 4, 2022 3:17 p.m.